Skip to main content

jim gill

not just another pretty voice
the band
contact me
site map
photo of Jim and Anne
Anne, the love of my life since 1976 and counting
photo of Andrew          photo of Abbey
Andrew, est. 1983                      Abbey, est. 1989

I am one who was raised in the way that he should go and did.


I was born in Houston, Texas, and "reared" in the church. When my parents had me baptized my mom read Hannah's prayer and, like Samuel, dedicated me to the ministry.  She didn't tell me this until after I graduated from seminary. (I think she wanted to wait until she was sure I passed.)


The summer before my junior year at the University of Houston I taught music and drama for a children's summer program at the Lighthouse for the Blind.  Working with blind kids opened my eyes.  Suddenly I began to know the Jesus I previously only knew about.  That's when I wrote my first song while working in the Fine Jewelry department of Joske's Gulfgate--"the talkin' sunday go to meeting blues."


In those days we had coffeehouses in churches.  I made the rounds and then started one at my church.  We called it Jericho-where the walls came tumblin' down.


In 1973, after graduating from UH I accepted the call to serve as the Youth Director at the First Presbyteiran Church of Galveston.  It was during my ministry there that I felt the call to enter seminary. 


The summer before my last year of seminary I had my first hand experience in pastoral work as an intern at the First Presbyterian Church of Slidell, Louisiana.  That same summer I signed a recording contract with Star Song Records and got married to Anne Caffee within the same week. I spent the next few years doubling as a Campus Minister and the opening act and sound man for a band called The Hope.  

In 1981, I accepted the call to be an Associate Pastor at St. Andrew's Presbyterian in Houston, Texas. My musical focus shifted from traveling and performing to raising up teenagers to write and play music.  I formed a band we called Buffalo Speedway, named after the street our church was on.  It was through this band that I was first reunited with a childhood friend Steve Arnold who has been playing with me ever since.


In 1983, Anne and I had our first child, Andrew. When he was four months old he and I survived being "broad-sided" by an 18 wheeler at 60 miles an hour on Highway 59. Andrew came through without a scratch.  I, however, I had four broken ribs, a cracked skull and was in need of some plastic surgery.  (I wasn't always this handsome.)  The story of Andrew's survival was instrumental in making the case for making car seats for children mandatory in the state of Texas.  Andrew went on to graduate from the University of Houston with a degree in communications and is now back in Houston working for Revel. 


My wife Anne is not only the love of my life, but she has given me more to love.  In 1989, our daughter Abbey was born.  Abbey graduated from Texas State with a degree in International Studies and Japanese and is working for Reed Smith Law Firm in Human Resources.   


In 1994, I accepted the call to be the pastor of John Knox Presbyterian in Houston after 3 years at St. Andrew Presbyterian in San Antonio.  Home again!  Anne began working on her Masters in Nursing from Texas Women's University while working as the director of the Pediatric Injury Clinic at Ben Taub Hospital.  She then pursued her Doctorate in Public Health from the University of Texas, all while working full time.  She is currently an Associate Professor at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston.


In 1996, I received the degree of Doctor of Ministry.  For my dissertation I produced a video concert of songs I had written about evangelism over the 3 years I worked on the degree.  It was called "EvangelEyes."


In 1998, while running her fingers through my hair, Anne discovered a malignant melanoma on my left temple. Thanks to her, they caught it in time, just barely.  I escaped by .3 millimeters of it getting its traveling papers to vital organs. 


In 2003, I accepted the call to start a church from scratch in Pearland, Texas.  This was on what is called a "tentmaking" basis.  I had no salary so I was supported by the gracious gifts of friends and preaching at a church in Houston and then in Katy in the morning and starting the church in Pearland at night.   


On two successive Cursillo Weekends I met Jimmy Connell who played keyboards and Carl Slagley who played bass and trumpet.  Along with Steve Arnold we formed the Altar'd Egos. (You have to lay your ego on the altar to play with me because there ain't no glory to be had!)  We began recording live concerts so I would have something to sell to help supplement my income as a tentmaking church planter.  Three of us were serving on a Kairos Prison ministry team when we met David Kealey and he was added to the mix. 


In 2008, Peace Presbyterian Church was chartered.  I then accepted the call to serve as a Designated Pastor at the First Presbyterian Church of Tomball, Texas.  It was while I was in Tomball that I spent a lot of time playing at the Open Mic at Main Street Crossing where I recorded the "Last Laugh" CD.


In 2011, I accepted the call to be the interim pastor at Westminster Presbyterian in Odessa, Texas.  It was my first solo missionary journey, the first time in 35 years that I was separated from my family and rediscovered the joys of apartment living.  I learned what living apart-meant.  I had a wonderful time, but am more than glad to be back home in H-town. 


On August 1, 2012, I began serving as the Interim Pastor at Faith Presbyterian in Baytown, Texas.  After serving for two years they decided to call me as their pastor.  So on August 1, 2014 I began serving as their installed pastor.  


Narrowing escapes tend to make even the most jovial of guys stop to ponder the purpose and meaning of life. I believe I am still around for a reason. Maybe it is to inspire you to join me in "taking humor seriously" by glorifying and enjoying God... not only forever, but for now.


My desire is to "make a joyful noise" to the Lord and make as many disciples while I do that, so that, when the day comes for me to give an account of what I have done with the gifts God has given me, I will hear, "Well done thou good and faithful servant," as I offer the report of one who was raised in the way that he should go..... and did.